Free 2014 CDL Practice Tests
If you are planning on getting your class A, B, or C commercial driver's license (CDL) then you must pass the DMV permit test(s). Here are all of the CDL test questions and answers for you to try for free while you prepare for the exams. Select any practice test to begin. You can learn which tests you should practice by using our simple chart. We provide every CDL practice test needed to get your CDL or any of the endorsements, free! Good Luck!
Choose a CDL practice test below to get started. All of these exams are free to use and are graded at the end of each test.
About our Free CDL Practice Tests
Our free CDL practice tests cover each required section of the CDL manual. They include the general knowledge, air brakes, combination vehicles, double and triples, and hazardous materials tests. You should use these practice tests in addition with your state commercial driver's license manual to prepare for and pass the commercial driver's license written permit exam. Using online practice tests are a great way to improve your test scores and build confidence for your actual exam. Please like us on Facebook and share this website with other students if you found our site helpful!
Study Your State's Commercial Drivers License Manual
Studying your state's CDL manual is a great way to prepare for the exam. All test questions are taken directly from topics covered in the manual. Despite popular belief, test questions are not formatted or designed to trick you. Visit your local Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office to obtain a CDL manual. Or, save time by downloading your free copy here.
How CDL Practice Tests Can Help
There is no question that one of the best ways that you can prepare for the CDL exams is by choosing a website that specializes in delivering accurate and up-to-date practice tests. While the CDL manual offers all of the information you need to pass the tests, many people have a difficult time learning by reading a 100+ page manual. CDL practice tests help you get an idea of what to expect on the real test, as well as test your knowledge so far. They can also greatly enhance your ability to learn the material that you need to know and increase your chances of passing the CDL exams. Take as many as needed. After passing several in a row, you'll know you're ready.
Tests For Each CDL License Class
You'll notice below that every CDL driver must take the general knowledge written test. However, other tests will depend on which type of license you wish to obtain and what type of vehicles you plan to operate. Use the simple chart below to see which tests you should practice for.
Class A CDL
For a CDL Class A drivers license, most states require you pass the following exams:
Class B CDL
For a CDL Class B drivers license, most states require you pass the following exams:
Class C CDL
For a CDL Class C drivers license, most states require you pass the following exams:
* If your truck or bus is equipped with air brakes (as many of them are), you will need to practice the air brakes test.
** School bus drivers will need to practice the school bus endorsement and the passenger transport endorsement.
Which Tests Should You Practice
While the general knowledge tests are required for all CDL drivers, other tests will depend on which type of license you wish to obtain and what type of vehicles you plan to operate. Use the simple chart below to see which tests you should practice for.
Take This Test...
If You Plan To...
CDL Test Tips
- Read each question carefully. The CDL tests usually aren't timed, so relax and take your time.
- Answer the easy questions first.. Then go back and spend time on the harder questions. You may not be able to do this with computer-based testing. Some computer-based testing allows you to skip a question, but the skipped question will likely be inserted later in the test.
- If your not sure of an answer, narrow down your choices by eliminating answer choices that you know are incorrect.
- Look out for answer options that have the words "all," "every," "always," or "never" in them. These choices are often incorrect. It's difficult for something to always or never be true!
- Don't change your answer unless you are absolutely sure. Your first instinct is usually best.
- Double-check to make sure you're marking the right question with the right answer.
- Don't leave any questions blank - they'll be marked wrong on the knowledge tests for the CDL. If you can't figure out an answer to a question, take a guess.
Looking for interactive CDL tests?
We've partnered with CDL Gears to offer our visitors another outlet for preparing for the CDL exams. CDL Gears has been helping student drivers pass their DMV exams since 2005 and offer for more than 800 questions and answers with in-depth feedback to all of the test questions. Try it now and receive $5 off of your purchase!